Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

design

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

day 204: Good Sense

Psalm 119: 73
You made me; you created me.
Now give me the sense to follow your commands.

**************************

I had to laugh when I read this.

I've talked before about how much I loved the book of Proverbs because it's everything we should know about life without being told... but we don't, so someone was smart enough to write it down for us.

A book of common sense as it were.

Sometimes we as humans don't have much common sense (I mean, 3 minutes of watching some reality tv will show you that... I think we as a nation collectively lost some common sense when the first contestant ate a raw cow eyeball on Fear Factor all of those years ago... Not to judge.. I actually used to watch that show all of the time...)

A lot of times, we have to be told what to do and what is right.

A lot of things that *should* be instinct, aren't. 

God's commands should be pretty easy to follow.

Especially the one from Jesus: "Love thy Neighbor as yourself"

But do we do it?

not all of the time

We even have problems with the easy ones.....

*Do not steal
(have you ever taken something from work?)

*Do not commit adultry
(yeah, that includes in your mind....)

*Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
(yeah, I buy things on Sunday and I probably shouldn't)

We need to pray for God to give us the sense to follow his commands because, truthfully, if left up to our own devices, we will find loopholes around it.

We are human after all.

God, I pray for the sense to follow your commandments and to not fall into the traps of trying to find loopholes or ways around them. You made me, and I want to do what is right by you. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

****

God Bless You
~Kelly

*If you'd like to focus on God and His word, I'm hosting a Bible in 90 Days group starting on Jan. 30 on my other blog Oh That Mom Again. It is a great way to have a Bible reading goal, along with others who will inspire you to keep going! :)

3 comments:

  1. Some of His commands you would think should be common sense to us, but like you said, we humans tend to lack common sense from time to time. Great encouragement Kelly!


    I am currently doing the B90 and I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly - Joyce Meyer said once she would rather have common sense than education. I love the scripture you used here, give me the good sense to follow your commands.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great word, Kelly! You would think that we would have the common sense to just do the right thing, but we often don't. So thankful for God's Spirit and His Word to keep me on track.

    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete