Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

design

Monday, December 19, 2011

day 183: The 12 Days of Christmas.

Romans 1:5
Through Christ, God has given us the privilege and authority as apostles to tell Gentiles everywhere what God has done for them, so that they will believe and obey him, bringing glory to his name.

****************************************************************

Part of our Christmas play last night told about the song 'The 12 Days of Christmas' and it's possible Christian meaning.  I say 'possible' because no one knows for certain that it was written for that purpose, but in any case, it can use it to remember what God has done for us and everything he will do.  I thought for today's 365 I'd post the narration part of the play.  I didn't write this.  It was found on different parts of the internet... so if you want to google it, you can.

We sing lots of songs at Christmast time. One of them is the "12 Days of Christmas".  This song counts the days from Christmas to Epiphany.  Some have suggested that it was written in the 16th century in response to the religious wars in England with hidden references to the Christian faith as mnemonic devices to teach young children.  While we can't say for certain that it was written with that intent, it is none-the-less a great reminder of God and his love for us.... We now present to you "The 12 Days of Christmas"... and their Christian meanings....

***On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me.... A Partridge in a Pear Tree

A partridge in a pear tree is Jesus the Christ, Son of God, whose birthday we celebrate on December 25, the first day of Christmas.  In the song, Christ is symbolically presented as a mother partridge that feigns injury to decoy predators from her helpless nestlings, recalling the expression of Christ's sadness over the fate of Jerusalem: "Jerusalem!  Jerusalem!  How often would I have sheltered you under my wings, as a hen does her chicks, but you would not have it so..." (Luke 13:34)


***On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... Two Turtle Doves.

The old and new testaments, which together bear witness to God's self-revelation in history and the creation of a people to tell the Story of God to the world.


***On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... Three French Hens

The three theological virtues: Faith, Hope, and Love (1 Corinthians 13:13)


***On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... Four Calling Birds

The four Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, which proclaim the Good News of God's reconciliation of the world to Himself in Jesus Christ.


***On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... Five Golden Rings

The first five books fo the Old testament: Genisis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronmoy, which give the history of humanity's sinfun failure and God's response of grace in the creation of the people to be a light of the world.


***On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... Six Geese a-laying

The six days of creation that confess God as Creator and Sustainer of the world (Genesis 1)


***On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... Seven Swans a-swimming

The seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: prophecy, ministry, teaching, exhortation, giving, leading, and compassion (Romans 12:6-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:8-11)


***On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... Eight Maids a-milking

The eight Beatitudes: Blessed are the poor in spirit, those that mourn, the meek, those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, the merciful, the pure in heart, the peacemakers, those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake (Matthew 5:3-10)


***On the nineth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... Nine Ladies Dancing

The nine fruits of the Holy Spirit: Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Generousity, Faithfullness, Gentleness, and Self-Control (Galatians 5:22)



***On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... Ten Lords a-leaping

The Ten Commandments: You shall have no other gods before me.  Do not make an idol.  Do not take God's name in vain.  Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.  Honor your father and mother.  Do not murder.  Do not commit adultery.  Do not steal.  Do not bear false witness.  Do not covet. (Exodus 20:1-17)


***On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...Eleven Pipers Piping

The eleven faithful Apostles: Simon Peter, Andrew, James the Greater, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the Younger, Simon the Zealot, and Thaddeous.


***On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me.... Twelve Drummers Drumming

The twelve points of the doctrine in the Apostles' Creed:
*I believe in God, the Father almighty, creater of Heaven and Earth.
*I believe in Jesus Christ, his only son, our Lord
*He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary.
*He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.  He descended into the grave.
*On the third day, he rose again.  He ascended into Heave, and is seated at the right hand of the father.
*He will coem again to judge the living and the dead.
*I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.

God Bless You :)

1 comment:

  1. This was interesting, Kelly. Thanks for sharing!

    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete