Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

design

Friday, December 2, 2011

day 166: 'The Night Before Christmas'

Luke 2:6-7
And while they were there, the time came for her baby to be born.  She gave birth to her first child, a son.  She wrapped him in strips of cloth and laid him in a manger, because there was no lodging available for them.

**********************

Do you ever wonder how Jesus was born?  Not 'how' exactly, but how did Mary feel?  What was going through her head? 

I've had three kids.  My first born was epidural free for 24 hours (morphine and staydol was my friend until then).  You moms know how much pain labor is (OUCH! Finally gave in and got the epi and she was born 3 hours later).  Those 24 hours were the hardest ever.  I was in a hospital with doctors, nurses, medicine, and all the 'modern' things.  I wasn't in a stable with the animals with only my husband to help me. 

Mary had to of been scared.

*I* would have been scared.

I was wondering today if God had maybe given Mary some sort of 'Heavenly epidural'.  Do you think she went through all of the pain of labor or do you think maybe God protected it from her? 

The Bible doesn't say, and I have no answers.  It was just something I've been wondering about.

Even if Mary was comfortable, she had to be scared.  Your first baby is scary no matter what.  You don't know what to expect. You aren't sure what your body is doing entirely.  It is hard enough in a bed, much less in a barn full of animals.

Did she cry?  Did she scream (I *might* have been a screamer)?  Did she relax and let nature do it's thing? 

When she saw her baby boy dying on the cross, did she think back to that night in the stable with just her and Joseph (such a tender moment), and all of the joy they had when little Baby Jesus was finally born?

When Jesus yelled out to Heaven that it was finished, did Mary's mind go back to his first breath on Earth?

We forget sometimes that Mary was human, just like us.  She had fears and pains.  She had hopes for her kids.  She had heartaches, and she had love. 

Sometimes Jesus seems so far away... or even like he's just a guy in a book.  We KNOW about him... We believe in him... but we don't take the time to really think about him and his time as a human. 

In those hours during labor, how much did Mary understand about what he boy was going to do for the world?  Or did she just know that she was going to love her little baby no matter what?

Today's song is one that my middle daughter loves. It's called "The Night Before Christmas" by Brandon Heath.  I love this song.  It was how the world was the day before Jesus was born... and how it changed (without even knowing it) once he came into the world.


God Bless You,
Kelly

Linked with:Brag on God Friday



4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this & the song!! I payed an award forward on your other blog and I am giving it to you for this blog as well. You have encouraged me!!
    Thanks for sharing!!!
    You have been awarded the Liebster Blog Award. The award is to showcase up and coming blogs with less that 200 followers. Please email me and I will send you the award logo and the rules to post to your blog. benpip at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your thoughts on this precious night, Kelly. And I must admit that I haven't thought about it from this perspective. When Jesus said it is finished, did Mary think back to the night He was born? Not only was Jesus human, but so was Mary - with very human emotions. Thanks for making me think about these things for a different point of view.
    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great insights and perspective. :)

    Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete