Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

design

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

day 239: 10 Commandments (The Second)

Deuteronomy 5:8
You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind....

*****************

If you missed yesterday, I'm going to go through the 10 Commandments and talking about each one.

This is the second commandment: You must not make any idol--

Great! (I say.... ). I don't have any golden calves around that I bow down too.

But wait..... an idol is something you worship. Something you put before God----

Wait a minute....

Could a computer be considered an idol? (Yes, if it takes away from God)

Can the TV or a hobby become an idol? (Yes, if you let it).

So far.... I'm 2 for 2 in the 'breaking' of the commandments, and we've just started. And here I thought I was a *good* person lol.

The point of this is to see how hard it is to obey the 10 Commandments completely and how much we fail (or I fail) even if we (I) don't mean too. This is why we have to examine ourselves daily to make sure we don't put anything before God.

It's ok to have hobbies and things that make you happy, we just have to make sure they don't start taking over our lives and taking time away from God.

God Bless You and Happy Valentine's Day (sorry this post today wasn't about love. I kinda dropped the ball on that one...)
~Kelly

3 comments:

  1. More wise words, Kelly. We must examine our hearts daily to make sure we aren't putting anything before our relationship with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly - I agree with Lisa, very wise words.
    Great post
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping over from On Your Heart Tuesdays. So true. This is something that's been on my heart - really allowing God to reveal to me those things that I let come between Him and me. thank you for this post. So often we think those two commandments are meant for those nations that have physical idols - forgetting that an idol is first something in our heart before it is ever fashioned with our hands. Blessings from Zagreb!

    ReplyDelete