Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

design

Monday, February 6, 2012

day 231: "But I'm Good"

Galatians 2:21
I do not treat the grace of God as meaningless. For if keeping the law could make us right with God, then there was no need for Christ to die.

**************

This was part of our Sunday School lesson yesterday. If your works could get you to Heaven, then Jesus died for nothing.

Think about it:

If being a good person, giving to the poor, taking care of orphans, etc got you to Heaven... then what did Jesus die for?

When Jesus died, he carried the sins of every person who would ever live on him. I don't know about you, but if I do something I know is a sin, my chest hurts-- like a weight pressing down hard. Can you imagine that shoved on you from every sin from every person who ever lived? It had to be horrible... actually I don't think there is a word to accurately describe how bad that must have felt.

I can't imagine.

If good works got you to Heaven or gave you salvation, what did Jesus do all of that for? I'm sure it wasn't his idea of a good time.

He did it because he knew there were no other options for us to be saved. He did it because he loved us and he'd do everything he could to keep us from going to hell.

Good people go to Hell all the time (ouch, Kelly).

I've heard people recently talk about/blog about/write about how it doesn't matter if they are saved because they are good..

It doesn't work that way. If it did, then what Jesus did was for nothing. We'd be responsible for our own salvation-- and we can't save ourselves.

Believing in Jesus, accepting he died for your sins, admitting you are a sinner, and inviting him into your heart is the only way to be truly saved. Don't fall into the 'but I'm good' trap.

God Bless You
~Kelly


3 comments:

  1. Great truth you have shared here, Kelly! We can't save ourselves, no matter how good we try to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I actually just got done studying this same concept yesterday with a good friend of mine, talking about how we assume we can change ourselves but in actuality, we need God to do it for us and to help us through that change. If we could get into Heaven on our own, you're right, what would be the point of Jesus dying on the cross??

    ReplyDelete