Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

design

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day 91: Um... is it a sin?

Psalm 139:23-24
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.

Point out anything in me that offends you,
and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

********************

A lot of times, people wonder, "What exactly is sin?  Am I sinning and don't even know it?"

I was watching some videos on youtube from a preacher that dealt with sin (well what exactly is sin when it comes to the "bedroom".)  I'm  not going to get into that or link them because they weren't "bad", but he didn't mince words lol.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about if we know exactly what sin is.  Sure we know the biggies: don't murder, don't cheat, don't lie, don't steal, honor your parents, rest on the Sabbath, don't have idols, don't covet, etc.. but what about the ones that aren't exactly spelled out for us.

Is telling a dirty joke a sin?

Is calling someone a name a sin?

Is it a sin to lust after pictures of celebrities?

Is it sinful to watch shows that deal with immoral characters?

Is it a sin to wear a bikini at the pool?

To be honest, I don't have all the answers. I'm not 100% sure on some of those questions if it is a sin or not.

I have found that a good golden rule when considering "Is it a sin?" is to think 2 questions....

1) Why am I convicted into even questioning it?
Sometimes we question because we know in our heart that it is wrong-- but we want to do it anyway. I have actually had the thought before (honestly), "I hope God doesn't convict me of this show-- I really like it and don't want to give it up."
Sigh.
Yeah.
And you know what happened, right? Kelly got convicted lol. Our heart knows more than our brain-- because our brain wants to talk us out of it (or into it in certain situations)

2) Would I do it if I were standing in front of God?
If you wouldn't tell a dirty joke standing in front of the Almighty, then I dare say I wouldn't tell one to a friend because God is everywhere.  I have found that if I think of it that way-- that God is everywhere I am, then I'm less likely to do anything like that...

Notice I said 'LESS' likely.  Doesn't mean that I don't slip.  And God understands that.  We are human after all.  However, when we do, we need to say, "I'm sorry, God. Please forgive me." and don't dwell on it.  Try not to do it again, but don't beat yourself up either.

You've heard that saying, "Would you kiss your Mama with that mouth?".  Think instead, "Would I talk to Jesus with this mouth?"

The answers to these questions are personal.  I can't tell you if a bikini is a sin-- or if watching a certain show is bad.  It is something you have to ask yourself, pray about, and answer for yourself.  I can tell you that these 2 questions do work.  I've started using them and it really makes you think about things.

Remember, Jesus is always with you--- through the good, the bad, the ugly (and the dirty jokes....)

God Bless You!

Kelly

1 comment: