Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

design

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 78: When God Puts You in Time-Out

Proverbs 3:11-12
My child, don't reject the Lord's discipline,
and don't be upset when He corrects you.
For the Lord corrects those He loves,
just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights.

************************

I don't know anyone who truly likes discipline.

Except the rare few (I'm not judging), we don't normally tell God to pile more on us.

But, just like we parents have to discipline-- so does God.

It's not like He likes it. I know I really dislike disciplining my kids.  It's not fun.  Makes me feel bad (even if it's just having to use my 'stern' voice)... then they cry... which  makes me feel worse... gah!

Can you imagine having 50 billion 'kids' to watch out for?

I have 3 kids and I have white hair from it. 

I can't even imagine the power God has to have.  And to think that He loves you SO much that He takes time to discipline you-- to get you back on the straight and narrow.

He doesn't have too.  He's God-- He can do whatever He wants.  He could say, "ok, I'm tired of smacking Kelly upside the head.  I'm going to just let her keep sinning and let her deal with the consequences.  I'm tired of trying to help her."

If God thought that way-- we would all be in a world of hurt!

God is like any parent-- He wants his kid home with Him.  Tonight at the church cookout, I let my oldest 2 play with the other kids.  I didn't keep a tight reign on them, but I did watch them and know where they were.  I called to them when they got too far away from me and even though I might not have been right with them, I knew where they were, and when I needed to call them back to me.

That's how God does us.  He lets us play on the 'playground' of Earth-- away from home (ie Heaven). He sits back-- watches us-- keeps an eye on us-- lets us get just out of reach-- but when we stray, he has to call us back, and if we don't WANT to come back, well, then He has to be stern with us.

If He didn't care, He wouldn't watch out for us.

So-- when you feel like God is disciplining you, don't get upset about it.  Be glad that God is taking the time to bring you back to him.  Look back at your life and see why He is doing what He is doing-- and if you can't figure it out, pray anyway.

God Bless You :)

Kelly

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly - God's discipline can be tough to take, but its for our own good (when we eventually realize it)
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, Tracy. He wouldn't do it, if he didn't love us :)

    ReplyDelete