Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

design

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Love = Obedience by Jan Christiansen


Love = Obedience

“Keep my commands and follow them…”  Leviticus 22:31a

"If you love me, you will obey what I command.” John 14:15

“Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.  Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.” John 14:23-24

God isn’t all that impressed when we study the Scriptures, when we memorize them, when we can quote them or even when we can teach the Word of God to others. What impresses God is when we obey His Word, when we allow it to change our lives, to alter our behavior.

Just think about it…

What if you told your daughter to go clean her room. Thirty minutes later she comes back and proudly announces,  “Mom, Dad, you would be so proud of me. I memorized what you said. I even wrote it down in my journal. In fact can quote it and I Googled it, so if you want, I can quote it in both the Greek & Hebrew.”

“Did you clean your room?” you ask.

The answer is no.

As kids we knew better than to try to pull something like that with our earthly fathers, but as Christians, don’t we sometimes do that with our Heavenly Father?

~Jan

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome, Jan... I say as I'm having my kids clean right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love how God helps us understand and relate to Him through our relationship with our kids?

    ReplyDelete