Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

design

Thursday, May 24, 2012

day 339: Proverbs 3:3

Proverbs 3:3
Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! Tie them around your neck as a reminder. Write them deep within your heart. Then you will find favor with both God and people.

******************

Being nice to people is an easy concept, right? You treat them the way you want to be treated--

But, let's be honest, it's easier said than done. Especially with people you love.

What makes you yell at someone you love, but you would die if you did it to a stranger on the street? Why do we treat some people better than others?

Simply because we love them (how's that for a 'thanks for loving me'...). When we love someone, we let our guards down. We know they love us back, so we can get away with more. I'd never dream of throwing a wet diaper at a person I met at the grocery store (yep, I did it once a few years ago when I was SOOOOO mad at my husband. Not my finest moment.) 

Imagine what it would be like if we treated our family, friends, loved ones with as much self-control and compassion as a stranger on the street. 

What if your marriage or friendship is in one of those 'lulls' (you know the ones where you can't for the life of you figure out what you have in common with your spouse or friend)? Should you let loyalty slide? It's easy. Truly easy. The devil sees your mind and sees how vulnerable you are; and yeah, he strikes. That's when you really need to pray and open up your bible to fight him off. The world is tempting---

If you love your family like your neighbor (and vice versa) then you will find favor with both God and people. That sounds good to me :)

God Bless You.

1 comment:

  1. It is a strange "phenomenon", isn't it? But, I have found, that the more time we spend with the Lord, the easier it is (and more natural) to extend a beautiful kindness to those close to us. I pray that each day, I become more and more the woman that God wants me to be! Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete