Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

design

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What to Do When You Are Angry by Wendy Van Eyck


But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-25 (NIV)

 

Someone made me so angry today that I just wanted to fight.

 

I wanted to shout angry mean words at them. And tell them how I felt.

 

But then I remembered that isn’t what Jesus would do.

 

It’s not that Jesus didn’t get angry. He did. It’s that when he did, he allowed the Holy Spirit to take the lead.

 

Jesus allowed his own passions and desires to take second place to what the Holy Spirit wanted.

 

And as Jesus did that, as he allowed love to replace hate, joy to replace sorrow, peace to replace irritation and patience to replace annoyance he made people want a relationship with him.

 

So often we allow anger to destroy our relationships. We speak too quickly, and we do not take the time to ask the Holy Spirit to replace our negative feelings with his passions and desires.

 

It is difficult in the heat of the moment to stop and pray - harder still to share love, joy and peace instead of a piece of your mind – but it’s possible.

 

Today someone made me so angry that I just wanted to fight.

 

Instead I prayed that the Holy Spirit would take all the anger and pain and hurt and replace it with his passions and desires, I prayed that God would show me how to act in love, joy, peace and patience. I prayed that he would help to preserve the relationship that my anger tried to destroy.

 

If you are feeling angry with someone right now pray that the Holy Spirit will come and exchange your passions and desires with his.

 

Did you enjoy this? Wendy shares devotionals every Monday and Thursday over at ilovedevotionals.com You can also connect with her on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment