Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

design

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Day 70: Prayer Ideas

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.

*****************************

Apparently... I need to read about prayer lol

Yesterday's 365, God pointed me to write on prayer.

Today's Kid's Devotional in '365 Days of Very Veggie Devos for Kids' (It is awesome to read to kids :) ) is about prayer.

And a blog I read today, Living to Please God, was about... praying.

Maybe someone is trying to tell me something.

The blog linked above had some really good ideas on when you aren't sure how/when/why to pray.  One of the things she suggested for when you don't know 'what' to pray, is reading one of the Psalms like you are talking to God.

I think that is an awesome idea! 

I wanted to share it with you too.

I tried it last night.  I'm not sure if it's obvious or not (I think it is lol), but I'm having sort of 'Writer's Block' when it comes to praying.  I have a list or I think prayers in my mind, and then I try to pray and its like a block.  The words won't come. I pushed through and got it out there but it was weird.

So, last night I tried the idea of reading a Psalm out loud as a prayer, and wow, it really worked.  Once I started on the Psalm, I couldn't stop.  It felt good to not be 'blocked' any more. 

I know people who have set up email accounts to 'Email' God.  I know people who use prayer journals (I used to write one, but have really let it slack..... no excuses). 


Sometimes, praying is hard.  It seems silly, but it's true.  Sometimes the words won't come.

But we don't need to let that keep us from talking to God.

God knows what is in our heart and He appreciates the effort. 

Even when He feels so far away, He is right there beside of us.

I really do love that. :)


God Bless You :)

Kelly

*lets all say a special prayer to the people on the coast dealing with the hurricane

3 comments:

  1. Email to God...never heard of that but it is a cool idea. I guess it is the same as journalling your prayers. I know sometimes I also have a block and both of these are good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a girl who has set up an email to God and she says that its like a prayer journal, but since she is on the computer more than she sits with a pen and paper, she uses it that way. I'm glad I'm not alone in the 'block' lol. Not fun, but it happens. I'm glad God understands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool you tried it Kelly! I remember George Muller saying a real breakthrough in his prayer life came when he started meditating and praying on the Bible instead of just reading it. I think you're doing so good posting these devotionals every day!

    ReplyDelete