Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

design

Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 2: For the Shy Types

Acts 18:9-10-- One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision and told him, "Don't be afraid!  Speak out!  Don't be silent. For I am with you, and no one will attack or harm you, for many people in this city belong to me.

Lets get the confessions out of the way first (I'm big on confessions...).

I am very shy.

I know!

Who would have thought it!?

I'm a teacher.  I write on here. I'm very shy. I don't like talking to people.. and it's NOTHING against THEM!  I'm all for them.  They are not the problem.  I am.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm scared that I'll say something stupid... or wrong... or weird and people will go, "What in the world is wrong with her?" Or you know the WORST thing? The Polite grin, Followed by the nod, and the half-way turned-but-not-completely eye roll.

Oh yes, I have actually thought about this... in great detail!

I don't mind talking in my classroom because.. well, I don't. I'm not shy in my room, but I am shy talking to other teachers, etc.

I don't like to do it.  Period.

Anyone in that boat with me?

And then I read this verse and I thought, OH!!!!!

Don't be afraid!  Speak out!  Don't be silent.

Got something you want to say for the Lord?  Say it.

Got something you want to say (nicely) to a co-worker/peer?  Say it. (I said nicely.. don't use this as an excuse to bless someone out and then say, "But Kelly told me too!"  Um... no!)

The point is that God is with you.  God wants you to speak out and not be nervous.

What, seriously, is the worst that can happen?  That girl that nodded, turned, and rolled her eyes, what is the worst that that could do to me?  Hurt me feelings?  Wow, in the scheme of things, that's not such a big deal.... as long as I don't let it be.

I have to work on this too (big gulp from Kelly here!). We have to loose our tongues.  And speak out... now do it nicely and politely (that is SO the teacher coming out), but still... do it.  And it doesn't have to be a great, grand gesture. It could be a little thing like saying, "Amen" at church a little more loudly than before, posting a bible verse on facebook, or offering a prayer request.  A 'little' something means a lot to God. 

Don't be Afraid.

God Bless You :)

Kelly

4 comments:

  1. Love this. Speaking up is hard for me. I tend to just bite my lip and hold it in. I've got to practice saying things I need to say with love instead of keeping them inside. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking up is really hard. We can practice together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought of u at Bible study Mon. night. Wish it was where u could come... love ya ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too. But I do love reading Beth Moore. I'm glad I can at least do that. Maybe someday I can go.

    ReplyDelete