Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

design

Friday, July 27, 2012

A Watched Pot Never Boils ~ By Stacy

Dinner needs to be ready in less than an hour so I fill the pot with water and set it on the stove to boil. I hover over it and run through my mental to do list which seems to be always growing longer. Wondering if I will have time to fit it all in, I stare at the water as if to say "please boil fast!", but I remember the all too familiar cliche,

 "A watched pot never boils". 

So I step away and trust the heat to accomplish the job. I have time to focus on other needs. The kitchen table needs to be cleared and dishes laid out. One thing at a time as the water becomes hotter. The vegetables need to be chopped and the meat cooked. A rolling boil begins. The dry noodles brought out, bread sliced, and sauce prepared. A full boil. And I think about this concept as I place the noodles into the pot to cook. There is so much I want to accomplish in this life. Plans and projects I wish to succeed, but they seem to linger on without a boil. I hover over them sometimes willing them to happen, but I become discouraged when the pace seems too slow. I forget that God is so much stronger and more patient than me, and he is the one who has the power to accomplish things in His perfect timing. He is the flame that brings the plans to a boil. And "a watched pot never boils". I look around the kitchen at chopped vegetables mixed into a fresh green salad, the simmering sauce and sliced French bread. This dinner is so much more than noodles. 

This life is so much more than one single plan. 

I can fill the pot with water, and ask for the heat, but I waste time when watching impatiently for the boil as if my thoughts could bring it any faster. There is a time to focus on other needs. And a peaceful trust replaces an impatient anxiety.

What about you friends? Do you have a plan that you wish would come to a boil? Do you hover over it, watching for any sign of progress? Or do you trust the Lord to bring the right plans to full boil in His perfect timing?






“(He) is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us…”  Ephesians 3:20






 Shared from my heart ~ Stacy
_____________________________________

PhotobucketPhotobucket


Just one recommendation for weekend reading friends, but so deserving of our thought...


A Miracle Inside the Aurora Shooting: One Victim’s Story

God is good. All the time.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm - I'm usually asking God to turn up the heat so it will boil faster. That relaxing stuff is hard!

    Great post, Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an awesome post, Stacy. Yes, I have plans and I don't need to watch the pot boil ;)

    ReplyDelete