Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58

design

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

John 14: The Gift Jesus Gave Us

Blogging through the Book of John.

Chapter 14

This chapter is about peace in times of trouble and a verse that I really love-- John 14:27 If you read nothing else in this post... please read that verse.

(John 14:1) “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. 

I love this verse! A lot of times are hearts are troubled. We try not to get down, but we do. When we get that way, we need to remember to Trust God. I know it's hard (I know), but it is the only way we will find peace.


There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. And you know the way to where I am going.”

Heaven doesn't have a set number. Anyone who believes in Jesus and is saved will get to go. I love that part too. And how amazing that Jesus himself builds our houses for us; prepares our places!



“No, we don’t know, Lord,” Thomas said. “We have no idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

Can you picture the disciples confusion, sadness, and fear? They had no idea what Jesus was talking about. All they knew was that their friend was going to die. It was a sad time for them.


Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is.[c] From now on, you do know him and have seen him!”

Jesus gives us the definitive answer to how to get to Heaven. HE is the way, the truth and the life. NO ONE can get to Heaven but through him. That is spelled out pretty plainly there.


Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.”

After everything Jesus had done, they still needed proof. Are we much different? Jesus does miracles for us everyday (did you wake up this morning? how about have food to eat?), and we still ask for more. I get upset with my kids sometimes they keep wanting... MORE. I've thought before, "Don't they know what I've already given them!" Oh, how I'm glad God isn't like me. I'm just like my kids when talking to him, "Please do this, God. Please do that. Give me a sign..."


Jesus replied, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don’t know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me. 11 Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do.
12 “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. 13 You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. 14 Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!

So... does that mean that every prayer we pray will be answered? No. I've prayed many prayers that I'm GLAD weren't answered (have you?). It means that God may say no, but because he has something greater instore for you.

15 “If you love me, obey my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. 17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.18 No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you. 19 Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. Since I live, you also will live. 20 When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.”

There is a lot in those verses, but I wanted to keep them together so you got the whole effect. Jesus simply says, "If you love him, obey him." What a novel concept! And he even gave us a helper so obeying him will be easier, the Holy Spirit which lives in each of us when we accept Jesus as our savior. The world doesn't have Him because it isn't looking for him.



22 Judas (not Judas Iscariot, but the other disciple with that name) said to him, “Lord, why are you going to reveal yourself only to us and not to the world at large?”
23 Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them. 24 Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own. What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me. 25 I am telling you these things now while I am still with you. 26 But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.

Verse 24 really hits home. If you don't love Jesus, you won't keep his commandments. How sad :( I'm so glad we have to Holy Spirit to help us! If you are anything like imperfect me, I need him!


27 “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.

Not only did Jesus give us the Holy Spirit, he left us with a gift. He died.... and on top of that... he gave us a gift! We didn't deserve salvation, much less a gift! That's LOVE!

Anxiety can get us all down. When it gets you down, remember to look at and cling to Jesus. He gives us a peace of mind and heart that the world can't give. This verse brings tears to my eyes....


28 Remember what I told you: I am going away, but I will come back to you again. If you really loved me, you would be happy that I am going to the Father, who is greater than I am. 29 I have told you these things before they happen so that when they do happen, you will believe.
30 “I don’t have much more time to talk to you, because the ruler of this world approaches. He has no power over me, 31 but I will do what the Father requires of me, so that the world will know that I love the Father. Come, let’s be going.

He knew the disciples were sad that he was going to die, but he wanted them to be happy for him. He was going home! Funerals are so sad, especially if it is a close loved one. But we should be happy that they have gone home. We can be sad for us because we will miss them, but they have finished their race. They've crossed the finish line and gone home to be with Jesus.

The 'Ruler of this world' is Satan. Don't let him steal your joy (he does me all the time). Cling to Jesus. He gives peace. If you need to pray, send me an email or leave a comment and I'll be happy to do it for you.

God Bless You,

~*~Kelly~*~


LINKED WITH: On Your Heart Tuesday @ A Pause on a Path

No comments:

Post a Comment